Sunday, April 13, 2008

Creaming the Nuggets

The Jazz picked up a huge win Saturday night in EnergySolutions Arena. They came out ready to rock, scoring 40 points in the first quarter and ended up beating the Nuggets by 27. Deron Williams was the alpha male on the court last night. He got slammed to the floor by Carmelo Anthony, landing right on the small of his back. After squirming on the floor for 20 seconds, D-Will got up and finished the game. I think opponents are soon going to realize that it's not in their best interest to get Williams upset; get him ticked off, and you're just scheduling your own funeral.

This is a monumental week for the Utah Jazz. Home-court advantage is on the line. We've gotta win against Houston on Monday then hope for a miracle on Wednesday (either a victory on the road against the Spurs, or the Clippers beating the Rockets. Either would be a miracle).

Side note: I've got to give props to Rod Zundel and KSL for the best Karl Malone interview that I've ever seen. Zundel sat in the bed of a truck with the Mailman and discussed everything from Karl's new car dealership, to Malone's attitude towards Jazz fans today, to the possibilities of a 2-on-2 between Stockton/Malone & Williams/Boozer (Karl: "Not gonna happen"). Karl is building a museum in the upper floor of his new dealership. It will be full of Mailman memorabilia, including old Dream Team jerseys (Malone says there are still original Gatorade stains on Larry Bird's jersey. He didn't wash them. I don't know how Karl ended up with everyone's jerseys....). The Mailman also predicted a Jazz championship within 3-5 years. Quotes from Karl: "I come in peace; I prepare for war."; on why he won't challenge Boozer and Williams to a showdown: "We're just old dogs on the porch. We like where we're at." When asked by Zundel if there were any good rumors to start: "Let's start the rumor that I am buying 20% of the Utah Jazz. Me and Larry (Miller). Start that rumor." Great interview.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I have cringed the last two Jazz games as I thought I saw Utah's run end on D-Will getting slammed to the floor on his butt. He is a tough guy but he can't keep taking that punishment.

Yee Quon said...

Watching Williams getting slammed to the floor reminded me of the time my bro-in-law got slammed to the cement drive way by his brother while playing ball. It knocked him out and he still cannot remember anything about it. Oh how we laughed.

Actually I wasn't there - but thinking about it makes me laugh.